Last Updated on February 13, 2023 by Afsar
Hey there! Are you gearing up for a fun-filled summer of kayaking? Then you might be on the hunt for the perfect paddle to improve your experience. There are so many options out there, and it can be overwhelming to choose just one.
Don’t worry. We’ve got your back!
We know paddling is about finding the right balance between effort and comfort. That’s why we’ve put together some information on the best kayak paddles currently available on the market. With different types, sizes, and features, it’s important to find a paddle that fits your budget and has the functionality and construction you need for an enjoyable paddling experience.
Whether you’re a seasoned kayaker or just starting, our comprehensive reviews of the top paddles on the market will provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.
What Factors Were Used to Choose the Best Kayak Paddle?
In our quest to determine the best kayak paddles, we evaluated the candidates across several categories. This allowed us to compare paddles with similar features and assess their performance in a fair and balanced manner. It’s worth noting that the ultimate winner may not necessarily be the lightest or most expensive option. In our evaluation of the best budget kayak paddle, we took a holistic approach, considering factors such as features, construction, and value rather than solely focusing on the price tag.
When reviewing kayak paddles, there are several factors to consider to find the best one for you:
- Material: Kayak paddles can be made of different materials, such as aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber, and plastic. The material will determine the paddle’s weight, durability, and stiffness.
- Length: Kayak paddles come in different sizes to accommodate different kayakers’ heights and stroke styles. Choosing a length that provides enough leverage and comfort for you is important.
- Blade Shape: The shape of the blade will affect the paddle’s performance in the water. A wider blade will provide more surface area for propulsion, while a narrower blade will be more efficient for longer trips.
- Blade Surface Area: The blade’s surface area will determine how much water the paddle can displace and how much effort is required to propel the kayak.
- Feathering: Feathering is the ability to adjust the angle of the blades while paddling. Some paddles have a fixed feather, while others allow for adjustable feathering. This can affect your comfort and the efficiency of your stroke.
- Grip: The grip of the paddle should be comfortable and allow for a secure hold. Some paddles have molded grips or padded handles for added comfort.
- Price: Kayak paddles can range in price from very inexpensive to very high-end. It’s important to determine your budget and find the best paddle that fits your needs within your budget.
Table of Contents
Best Paddles for Kayaking
|Image||Model Name||Editorial |
|SeaSense X-1 Kayak Paddle||4.5||around 2.2 lbs||84 inches||Aluminium|
|Shoreline Marine Kayak |
|4.7||2.2 lbs||96 inches||Aluminium|
|Werner Kalliste Carbon||5||23 ounces||260 cm||Carbon fiber|
|Solstice 4 piece Quick |
|4.5||2.8 pounds||86 inches||Aluminium|
|Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle||4.7||39.8 oz||220 cm||wrapped fiberglass|
|Werner Skagit FG 2||4.9||34.5 oz||220 cm|
|Fiberglass reinforced nylon|
|Trac Outdoor Products Curved Kayak Paddle||4.5||2lb 4oz||7'8|
|SeaSense X-Treme II||4.7||2.3 lb||84 inch|
The SeaSense X-1 Kayak Paddle is a budget-friendly option that offers a good balance of quality and affordability. If you are new on the market to try out paddling, this is a great option! One of the standout features of the X-1 is its aluminum shaft, which provides a sturdy and lightweight option for kayakers. The blade is made of high-impact plastic, which offers durability and resistance to wear and tear. Additionally, the blade is symmetrical and has a slight dihedral shape, which helps to provide a smooth and efficient stroke in the water.
The handle of the X-1 is also worth mentioning, as it offers a comfortable grip and is easy to hold. This makes it a good choice for kayakers who are looking for a paddle that won’t cause hand fatigue during long trips.
One potential drawback of the X-1 is that it is not adjustable. Also, the plastic blade may not be as stiff as more expensive paddles made of fiberglass or carbon fiber.
Overall, the SeaSense X-1 Kayak Paddle is a good choice for kayakers who are on a budget but still want a paddle that is durable and efficient. Its lightweight aluminum shaft and comfortable handle provide a good value for its price.
- Designed to be effective
- Best cheap paddle
- Good blade shape
- Perfect kayak paddles for beginners
- The grip provides comfortable kayaking
- Easy to attach and disperse
- Experts might need a more powerful paddle
- Not effective for big kayak
Oceanbroad SUP Kayak Paddle
Besides kayaking, I also enjoy paddle boarding, and this is where Oceanbroad’s kayak paddle beats the rest of the competitors. Oceanbroad uses a unique design that helps this paddle to be used for kayak, SUP, paddleboarding, and more. You can use the 68 to 83 inches long 3-pieces paddle for SUP and paddleboarding. If you attach the last remaining part, it becomes an 87.8 inches ling double blades kayak paddle.
Despite being super tough, it is lightweight. Oceanboard used a top-grade alloy shaft with a UV-stable PP blade to make this paddle stiff and durable. Ocean board’s kayak paddle uses an anti-twist shaft design to connect the parts. The adjustment handle section and the extra paddle blade to turn it into a kayak paddle using an anti-twist groove design. It is very easy to use and is strong enough to withstand the harsh marine environment. However, you should always check the screws on the clamp and, if needed, tighten them up before using the paddle.
This green kayak paddle is also highly portable. It is only 34 inches long when disassembled, making it very easy to transport and travel with.
Length: 87.8 inches
Weight: 2 lbs as SUP paddle and 3 lbs as a kayak paddle
- Available in different colors: green, black, blue, orange, gray
- Four piece design
- Can be used for both kayaking and paddleboarding
- Made of top-grade alloy shaft and UV-stable PP blade
- Anti-twist shaft design
- Highly portable: disassemble to make it portable
Aqua-Bound Sting Ray Paddle- Fiberglass
Shaft Material: Fiberglass
Blade Material: abXII Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon
Blade Size: 6.25 x 18 in. (16 x 46 cm.)
Blade Surface Area: 91 sq. in. (587 sq. cm.)
Weight: 34 oz. (964 g)
Ferrule Angles: 0° & 60° (L or R)
Aqua bound is a popular kayak paddle maker in the industry that has been praised by many paddlers for its innovative designs. If you are looking for a fiberglass kayak paddle for sale, you need to check this Sting Ray kayak paddle from Aqua-Bound. A lightweight fiberglass shaft is used to make this paddle that helps the paddler to paddle smoothly. Thanks to the fiberglass shaft, it feels warm on hands-on cold days.
Unlike most cheap kayak paddles on the market, this one is designed to provide great durability in a harsh marine environment. It uses ABX resin blade material, a blend of fiberglass-reinforced nylon, which offers great durability when you are pushing off rocks or barnacles in a harsh marine environment. Thanks to the asymmetrical dihedral shape, you will get a smooth, flutter-free forward stroke with this blade. It’s best if your paddling style is low-angle.
With the snug-fitting and snap-button ferrule, you can maintain a tight and trouble-free connection to the kayak paddle. When not in use, you can take advantage of the two-piece design and break it down, making it easy for storage or for transport.
- The lightweight fiberglass shaft is warm on the hands
- ABX resin blade material
- Great durability: Great if you are pushing rocks and barnacles a lot
- Blade enters and exits smoothly from the water
- The asymmetrical Dihedral blade shape makes it great for the low-angle paddling style
- The shaft has a straight shape
- Made in USA kayak paddle
Bending Branches Angler Ace Snap
Shaft Material: 100% Carbon
Blade Material: abX Carbon Reinforced Nylon
Blade Size: 7.25 x 18 in. (18 x 46 cm.)
Blade Surface Area: 105 sq. in. (677 sq. cm.)
Weight: 30 oz. (850 g)
Ferrule Angles: 0° & 60° (L or R)
Perhaps Bending Branches isn’t first on your list when you think of high-performing kayak paddles, but I would love to argue with you to change your mind. This is a two-piece kayak paddle that uses a highly durable carbon-reinforced nylon blade. Bending Branches uses a three-hole snap-button ferrule in this kayak paddle that allows adjustable feather angles of 0° or 60°, left or right-hand control. This is probably the best overall kayak paddles you will be able to find on the market. The Angler Ace kayak paddle is available in several different sizes starting from 230CM to 260CM.
The oversized nylon blades are designed to offer more power and efficiency, especially for heavy fishing kayaks. The 100% carbon shaft is also very lightweight and can make it easier for anglers to paddle all day long. It is equipped with a few other features like a built-in hook retrieval system, tape measure, and more. The price of this kayak paddle may be off-putting for some of you, but you get what you pay. If you are into fishing from kayaks and are looking for a paddle that can take a beating while allowing you to paddle for a long time without making you tired, this probably is one of the best options for you. However, if you are just a newbie trying to paddle for fun, I recommend you buy a cheaper kayak paddle.
Another great thing about this kayak paddle it is made in the USA, meaning the quality is top-notch. Bending Branches Angler Ace’s Snap 2-Piece design make it highly portable too. Once not in use, you can store it easily.
Best kayak fishing paddle.
Shoreline Marien is a 96-inch Kayak paddle that has been loved by thousands of kayakers. This kayak paddle has an aluminum shaft which makes it lightweight. This Paddle has a molded blade that offers durability and efficiency. Due to the lightweight, you will be able to paddle without getting tired.
- Best kayak paddle for the money
- Great for long & short tours
- Easy to balance
- offers great speed
- Comfort grip handles provide comfortability
- Long kayak paddle for the low price
- Some people find it very lightweight or wiggly
Many kayakers have loved Werner kalliste’s carbon kayak fishing paddle. Note, that this is a highly lightweight paddle you can get on the market. Even though this is a multi-purpose kayak paddle but this is a specialized kayak paddle for fishing purposes. It has mid-sized blades which allow you to pull quickly through the water. If you are going on a long journey, then its light swing weight gives you an extra advantage. This lightweight kayak paddle can reduce fatigue and it even keeps you dry with its two drip holes. If you are looking for smooth paddling, then this is the best paddle for you. By considering the features it provides, it is said to be one of the best white water paddles on the market.
- High performance
- Extra lightweight
- Allows for a long journey
- Easy to portable: 2 piece design
- Reduces fatigue
- Shaft made of carbon fiber
- Expensive but worth it
This is a 4 piece quick-release paddle you can get for your paddling purpose. If you are traveling or have compact storage then this surely will help you to pack properly. This kayak paddle has a stylish design and it’s functional too. With a decent price tag, this cheap kayak paddle is loved by many paddlers.
- 4 pieces
- Excellent portability
- Excellent price
- Soft grip reduces fatigue
- Stylish look
- Pieces sometimes get jammed
Best paddle for the money: This is another lightweight kayak paddle that has a length of 220cm. Its shaft is made of lightweight fiberglass. This kayak paddle is available in different colors and possesses heavy power on the water.
- Beautiful colors
- Shaft material: wrapped fiberglass
- Blades are very tough
- Slightly heavy to some paddlers
- Grip area on one side seems longer than another
Werner Skagit FG 2 is one of the best kayak paddles in the market. Made by Werner paddles, Werner Skagit FG 2 is a straight shaft paddle that suits different types of paddlers. This paddle is mid-sized and has low-angle blades. This mid-sized blade can fit most of the kayaker’s size and is useful in flat water. Werner’s core philosophy of smooth and stable forward paddling is used via the Dihedral. The nylon blades are reinforced with fiberglass for better durability and easy paddling. It ensures a smooth, stable stroke, quick and easier paddling.
The smart view adjustable ferrule for pretty simple and precise fitting to the users. Just for reassuring, this one is a 2-piece paddle kayak. Thus, you can store this kayak paddle very easily with minimal space. Werner Skagit FG 2 comes at a decent price. If the price is not a factor for you, this is one of the best kayak paddles for you.
- Low-angle blades
- Smart-view adjustable ferrule
- Fits most kayakers
- Dihedral allows smooth and stable forward paddling
- 2 piece for easy storing and managing
- Fiberglass reinforced nylon blades provide better durability and easy paddling
- Slightly expensive
If you are a big fan of vivid colors, you will definitely love the colorful kayak paddles from Naviskin. This is an aluminum 2 pieces kayak paddle. The two-piece construction helps the user to store shelves or in the kayak. The length x width of the blade is 18.5” x 7.5”. The aluminum material is corrosion-resistant and lightweight. Due to the lightweight design, it is relatively very easy to move and paddle. What’s more, you can grab this kayak paddle at a very cheap rate.
- Available in vivid colors
- Feathered blade design
- Lightweight corrosion-resistant aluminum used
- Designed to reduce fatigue
- Two-piece construction allows easy transportation
- Not for big kayaks
As the title says, this is a curved kayak paddle from Trac Outdoor Products Curved Kayak Paddle. This curved kayak paddle comes in two different sizes: 7’8 and 8’8. Having a strong and lightweight kayak paddle can be very useful for kayaking. Thanks to Trac outdoor products for making this curved kayak paddle lightweight and strong at the same time. The lightweight anodized aluminum shaft comes with fiberglass reinforced polypropylene blades for high durability.
Storing a kayak paddle that can’t be folded can take big space. However, this kayak paddle is designed as a two-piece for more convenient storage than regular one-piece kayak paddles. In a nutshell, this is a great kayak paddle for the money.
- Cheap price
- Two-piece design
- Easy to store
- Lightweight anodized aluminum shaft
- Fiberglass reinforced polypropylene blades
- Size is not accurate
Paddling is so much easier when you get your hands on a lightweight kayak paddle. Most the lightweight kayak paddles are fragile, but not this one. Bending Branches Angler Ace paddle is precisely made for kayaking. This paddle is lightweight but durable, thanks to the carbon-reinforced nylon blades.
It even comes with a hook retrieval system to free a snagged hook or rescue the lures, or pull in a big catch. The paddle comes in black color and has a stylish design. No matter whether it’s a 0-degree or 60-degree angle, the snap-button ferrule system ensures a tight fit.
If you are traveling, you can break this into two pieces, and move easily. What’s more, it floats.
- Carbon-reinforced nylon blades
- Extremely lightweight and highly durable
- Can be broken into two pieces
- Easy to store
- Snap-button ferrule system
- Hook retrieval system
- Slightly expensive
Q: What type of paddle is best for kayaking?
The type of paddle that is best for kayaking depends on several factors, including the type of kayaking you’ll be doing, your personal preferences, and your physical characteristics. Here are some of the most popular types of kayaking paddles and what they are best suited for:
- Recreational paddles: These are generally the most affordable and widely available type of kayak paddles. They are best suited for calm waters like lakes and for recreational kayaking or family outings.
- Touring paddles: These paddles are designed for longer trips and are typically longer and narrower than recreational paddles, providing more power and speed. They are best for open-water kayaking and longer trips.
- Whitewater paddles: These paddles are designed for rapids and rough water and are shorter and wider than recreational or touring paddles, providing more control and maneuverability. They are best for whitewater kayaking or river running.
- Surf paddles: These paddles are designed specifically for kayaking in surf conditions and are typically shorter and more flexible than other paddles, allowing for quick turns and maneuvers in the waves.
Ultimately, the best paddle for kayaking is one that feels comfortable for you to use and provides the performance you need for the type of kayaking you’ll be doing. It’s always a good idea to try out different paddles before making a purchase to find the one that’s right for you.
A good kayak paddle is necessary to have a proper kayaking session. If you fail to choose a good kayak paddle for you, you will have a hard time paddling. This is why you should try to choose the best kayak paddle for you.
Afsar is an avid kayak blogger born near the coast. He has a passion for kayaking and started as a child. He has paddled in various conditions and locations and promotes responsible kayaking. Afsar’s blog is widely read, and they are a respected voice in the kayaking community, offering valuable content on kayaking trips, gear, tips, and tricks. Afsar collaborates with other bloggers and brands and continues to inspire others through their writing and social media.