Last Updated on August 6, 2023 by Afsar
The Tarpon 105 kayak, a well-rounded sit-on-top kayak, has been making waves among outdoor enthusiasts. Known for its balance, stability, and versatility, the Tarpon 105 is hailed as the “Premiere sit-on-top kayak” and seems to live up to this title. But does it really deserve all the praise? In this comprehensive review, we will dissect the kayak’s various features and technical specifications to help you decide whether it’s the right fit for your water adventures.
The Tarpon 105 kayak is a versatile and well-rounded option for kayakers of all levels. It has a thoughtful design, plenty of storage, and unique features, such as the Phase 3 Air Pro seating system, that make it stand out from its competitors. With a maximum capacity of 325 pounds, it can accommodate a variety of equipment without feeling crowded. This kayak also boasts impressive tracking, stability, and maneuverability, making it an appealing choice for both novice and experienced paddlers.
If you’re looking for a kayak that doesn’t compromise on comfort, versatility, or functionality, the Tarpon 105 is worth considering. The few minor drawbacks, such as the absence of a rudder or the weight, are outweighed by its numerous strengths. Whether you’re into boating, fishing, or simply exploring the water, the Tarpon 105 is a kayak that promises a memorable experience, offering both performance and pleasure in a sleek and practical package.
Here’s a quick summary of the Tarpon 105’s technical specs:
- Length: 10′ 6″ / 320 CM
- Width: 32″ / 81 CM
- Boat Weight: 55 LBS. / 25 KG
- Deck Height: 15.25″ / 39 CM
- Max Capacity: 325 LBS. / 147 KG
- Hull Material: Polyethylene
- Cockpit Dimensions: 54 x 22in
- Rudder & Skeg: None
- Claimed Weight: 55lb
1. Comfortable Seating
The ergonomic, adjustable seat, fitted with 3D foam, is one of the standout features of this kayak. It provides exceptional comfort and support, even during long hours on the water. The Phase 3 air Pro seating system also features a cool touch technology that keeps the seat cool, enhancing the overall comfort.
2. Storage Capacity
With two dry storage hatches and a large rear storage well, the Tarpon 105 offers ample space to keep your belongings. You can bring along fishing equipment, scuba tanks, camping gear, and even coolers, without worrying about space. The Dry Tec removable dry box is perfect for valuables like wallets, phones, and keys. A sectioned storage tray is also included to help you organize smaller items.
The SlideTrax system allows easy attachment of compatible accessories, enabling customization for fishing, filming, or other activities. You can also secure duffels or coolers using the open storage with bungees, ensuring your gear stays intact on choppy waters.
4. Adjustable Foot Braces
Large, padded footrests with easy-to-adjust locking levers cater to paddlers of different heights. The customization enhances the paddling experience, providing both support and comfort.
These specs add up to make the Tarpon 105 a compelling option for both beginners and seasoned paddlers. Whether it’s the boat’s weight or maximum load capacity, everything is designed with the user’s comfort and convenience in mind.
Design & Versatility
Whether you’re an avid fisherman in search of the perfect fishing spot or a leisurely paddler who enjoys exploring serene lakes, the Tarpon 105 is designed to accommodate all types of water adventures. With a length of 10’6″ and a width of 32″, it provides a well-balanced design that offers solid tracking, stability, and responsiveness. The polyethylene hull material adds to its durability, making it a lasting investment.
Performance and Usability
Tracking and Stability
The Tarpon 105 is touted as a kayak that offers “fast, efficient and straight tracking.” This can be attributed to its balanced design, which ensures stability without compromising on the responsiveness. Even in more turbulent waters, the kayak manages to hold its line well, thanks to its 32-inch width and well-crafted hull. The absence of a rudder or skeg doesn’t affect its performance negatively, making it suitable for calm lakes and slightly choppy waters.
Maneuvering the Tarpon 105 is a breeze. Its 10’6″ length offers agility, allowing paddlers to navigate through tight spots with ease. Turning the kayak is responsive and controlled, ideal for those who love to explore different water paths or fish in various spots. The 55-pound weight adds to the portability, making it relatively easy to transport.
We cannot emphasize enough the superior comfort offered by the adjustable Phase 3 air Pro seating system. Long paddling sessions usually result in discomfort, but the Tarpon 105 has managed to alleviate this issue with its ergonomic design, cool touch technology, and 3D foam. The adjustability also ensures that paddlers of different sizes find their perfect fit.
Whether you’re on a fishing trip or a day-long expedition, storage can be a concern. The Tarpon 105 shines in this department with its large rear storage well, dry storage hatches, and removable Dry Tec dry box. The accessibility and organization options make it incredibly convenient to store everything from larger equipment to smaller valuables.
The Magnate magnetic water bottle strap system and Sidetracks accessory rails offer customization opportunities. This allows paddlers to personalize their kayaks according to their specific needs, whether it’s fishing accessories, filming equipment, or other leisure add-ons.
- Versatile Design: Suitable for various water activities, from fishing to leisure paddling.
- Comfortable Seating: Adjustable and ergonomically designed for long hours on the water.
- Ample Storage: Large storage options for equipment and valuables.
- Easy Maneuverability: Responsive control, even in tighter spaces.
- Customization Options: Offers numerous ways to personalize your kayak.
- No Rudder or Skeg: While not a major issue, some may prefer additional tracking control.
- Weight: Though considered portable, some may find the 55-pound weight a bit heavy for transportation.
Who Will Love Tarpon 105 Kayak?
The Tarpon 105 Kayak is designed to appeal to a wide range of individuals with various interests and skill levels. Here’s a detailed look at who might find this kayak particularly appealing:
- Recreational Paddlers: With its comfortable seating and stability, the Tarpon 105 is an excellent choice for those who enjoy leisurely paddling on lakes, rivers, or coastal waters. Its easy maneuverability makes it a joy for casual outings on the water.
- Fishing Enthusiasts: Anglers will appreciate the well-thought-out storage solutions, including dry storage hatches and a rear storage well. The kayak’s adaptability and accessory rails provide the option to customize with fishing gear, making it a suitable vessel for various fishing activities.
- Adventure Seekers: For those who love exploring new water paths or going on day-long expeditions, the Tarpon 105 offers the comfort, storage, and performance needed for longer journeys. Its responsive design ensures enjoyable navigation through various water conditions.
- Beginner Kayakers: The balanced design, offering both stability and responsiveness, is welcoming to beginners. Its user-friendly features and adaptability make it a great entry-level kayak for those new to the sport.
- Experienced Kayakers: Even seasoned kayakers can appreciate the Tarpon 105’s features. The customizable accessory options, ergonomic seating, and efficient tracking make it a kayak that can meet the demands of more experienced paddlers.
- Photographers and Videographers: The Tarpon 105’s Sidetracks accessory rails allow for the attachment of filming equipment. This makes it an appealing option for those looking to capture their water adventures or wildlife photography.
- Families: With its 325-pound maximum capacity, the Tarpon 105 can accommodate a parent and child or a pet for a fun day out on the water. The adjustable foot braces and seat ensure that paddlers of different sizes can find a comfortable fit.
- Fitness Enthusiasts: For those looking to combine exercise with enjoyment, the Tarpon 105 offers a smooth and efficient ride, allowing for a great workout on the water.
- Travelers and Campers: Its storage capabilities and durability make the Tarpon 105 suitable for those embarking on multi-day trips, combining kayaking with camping or traveling.
The Tarpon 105 is versatile and well-suited for various water activities, including recreational paddling, fishing, exploration, and more. Its stability and responsiveness make it ideal for lakes, rivers, and coastal waters.
No, the Tarpon 105 does not include a rudder or skeg. Its well-balanced design offers solid tracking, but those looking for additional steering control may consider this absence a downside.
The Tarpon 105 features an ergonomic and adjustable seat with 3D foam and a Phase 3 Air Pro seating system. It’s designed for comfort and support, and the cool touch material ensures that the seat stays cool, even during prolonged use.
Yes, the Tarpon 105 offers two dry storage hatches and a large rear storage well. It’s suitable for storing crates, coolers, fishing equipment, scuba tanks, camping gear, and personal valuables, making it suitable for extended trips.
Yes, the SlideTrax system and Sidetracks accessory rails allow for easy attachment of compatible accessories. You can customize the kayak for fishing, filming, or adding other accessories as needed.
The Tarpon 105 weighs 55 pounds and has a maximum load capacity of 325 pounds. This should accommodate most individuals and their gear.
Yes, its stable and responsive design makes the Tarpon 105 a great option for beginners. Adjustable foot braces and an ergonomic seat ensure that paddlers of different sizes can find a comfortable fit.
Yes, the Tarpon 105 features a Dry Tec removable dry box, which is perfect for storing wallets, phones, keys, and other valuables safely during your trip.
Afsar is an avid kayak blogger born near the coast. He has a passion for kayaking and started as a child. He has paddled in various conditions and locations and promotes responsible kayaking. Afsar’s blog is widely read, and they are a respected voice in the kayaking community, offering valuable content on kayaking trips, gear, tips, and tricks. Afsar collaborates with other bloggers and brands and continues to inspire others through their writing and social media.