Looking for the best spinning reel for your next fishing trip? Getting the best spinning reel on the market will help you to make your fishing time more enjoyable while helping you to catch as many fish as you want. Even though there are lots of spinning reels available on the market, a lot of anglers find it hard which meets their need.
This article is focused on providing the best spinning reels for the money. At first, we will provide a comparison chart of the top fishing spinning reels with a short brief. After that, you will be able to learn how to find the best spinning reels of 2017.
Adding a spinning reel to your fishing accessories is a no brainer. This helps you to make things much easier and quicker. A lot of newbies often overlook the advantage of having a good spinning reel, but after using them they realize how it can be a game changer.
- Best Spinning Reels 2017
- Spinning Reels Review
- 1. Penn Battle II Spinning Reel
- 2. Shimano Stradic Ci4+ FB with Front Drag
- 3. Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Bait Feeder Reel
- 4. Pflueger President Spinning Reel
- 5. Penn Fierce II Spinning Reel
- 6. Daiwa Crossfire Front Drag Spinning Fishing Reel
- 7. Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
- 8. Sougayilang Fishing Spinning Reels
- 9. Okuma Trip High-Speed Spinning Reel
- 10. Shimano Sedona Spinning Reel
- Final Verdict
Best Spinning Reels 2017
|Image||Model||Ball Bearings||Gear Ratio||Price|
|Penn Battle II 5000||6||5:6:1|
|Shimano Stradic Ci4+ FB 4000XG||7||6.2:1|
|Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Bait Feeder Reel||6||5.0:1|
|Pflueger President Spinning Reel||9||5.2:1|
|Penn Fierce II Spinning Reel||4+1||5.2:1|
|Daiwa Crossfire Front Drag||3+1||4.9:1|
|Abu Garcia Revo SX||8+1||6.2:1|
|Okuma Trip High-Speed Spinning Reel||9+1||6:0:1|
Spinning Reels Review
1. Penn Battle II Spinning Reel
Penn Battle II is one of the best spinning reels available on the market. Despite being available in different style name, I will prefer the 5000 model. This durable and high-range spinning reel is an excellent gear to have when you are fishing in saltwater. The full metal body of the Penn Battle II comes with sideplate & heavy-duty aluminum bail wire to make it more durable.
Penn used a rugged full metal design to fight the big game fishes in salt water with less hassle. If you are up for catching that big saltwater game fish, Penn Battle II is a great tool to have. It’s incredible power, casting range and durability is needed for saltwater fishing. Due to the strong construction and material, Penn Battle II can withstand the tough saltwater condition.
Penn used HT-100 Drag system which offers a silky and smooth drag on the go. You can easily drag a big game fish with the Penn Battle II, thanks to the HT-100 Drag System. Penn Battle II reel uses five stainless steel ball bearings to offer a smooth cranking with a better operation. There is also an anti-reverse bearing which helps eliminate the rotor back play. As a result, it can set the hook & reel in the catch without any interruption.
In a nutshell, this is a fantastic spinning reel for the money.
- Rugged and durable design
- Full metal construction
- Great for saltwater usage
- HT-100 Versa-Drag carbon giber drag system
- Smooth drag system helps when you are catching big fishes
- 5 Stainless steel ball bearings with one anti-reverse bearing
- Superline Spool comes with convenient line capacity rings
- Spool fitted with a rubber gasket
- Easily detect how much lien is remaining within seconds
2. Shimano Stradic Ci4+ FB with Front Drag
If money isn’t an issue for you, Shimano Stradic Ci4 reel is the best spinning reel for you. If you are more of a perfectionist, this incredible spinning reel’s precise performance will put a smile of your face. Shimano introduced a new magnumlite rotor which offers a lightweight feeling when retrieving lures for a long time.
Shimano used Ci4+ in the body construction of this incredible spinning reel.This carbon material is very lightweight which reduces the overall weight of the reel while making the maintaining the rigidity.
Shimano Stradic also comes with G Free body to balance the entire reel by centering the internal components. The hagane gear is produced with cold forging process to make it durable while making the gear able to combat strong marine environments.
This spinning reel is available in several sizes. For example, the Shimano Stradic Ci4 + 40.00G comes with a gear ratio 6:2:1 which weighs only 8.10 ounce.
Another cool feature of Atradic CI4+ is its silky smooth drag system. Dragging that big bass would cause you trouble if you are using a regular spinning reel, but not with this powerful spinning reel. Primarily it’s a great fishing spinning reel for small trout, predator fish, also minimal near shore saltwater application.
- Uses lightweight magnumlite rotor
- Ci4+ lightweight carbon material in body construction
- Lightweight design while maintaining rigidity
- Cold forging process ensures durablity of the reels main gear
- Ultra-smooth reeling process
- Smooth and strong drag
- Near shore saltwater application
3. Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Bait Feeder Reel
Okuma Avenger ABF bait feeder spinning reels are a combination of tournament grade spinning reel and Okuma’s patented live line bait feeding system. Okuma Avenger ABF reflects Okuma’s decade long research and developments. Thus, you can realize the quality of the product. Despite the reasonable pricing, Okuma managed to offer a lot of cool features to this bait spinning reel.
Okuma Avenger ABF is a bait feeder reel which comes with corrosion resistant body and materials. Okuma’s bait feeding system allows disengagement of the spool with free running line without opening the bail.
Okuma used lightweight CNC machined spools which are fitted with smooth and flexible oil-soaked felt washers. There are six sealed ball bearings with smooth operation and one quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing.
Talking about the drag system, Okuma’s multi-drug system with the Japanese oiled felt drag washer comes into action with a turn of the handle. Both the spool and the drag system will activate to set the hook and fight the fish. It features make it a great spinning reel for walleye, catfish, stipers, rockfish, and others.
There are other features like the patented S-Curve Oscillation system, hydro block water tight drag seal, graphite body, computer balanced rotor equalizing system. What’s more, the price of this bait feeder reel is very competitive.
- Tournament grade bait feeder spinning reel
- 6 Ball bearings with one quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Made by using Okuma's decade long research knowledge
- Free running line without opening the bail
- CNC machined spools fitted with oil-soaked felt washers
- Multi-drag system in operation with the turn of a handle
- S-curve Oscilliation system
- On/off trip bait feeding system
- Rotor equalizing system is balanced by computer
- Hydry block water tight drag seal
4. Pflueger President Spinning Reel
Pfluenger President spinning reel comes with 9 stainless steel ball bearings to offer a smooth performance to the user. Pfluenger used a lightweight graphite body and rotor to make this spinning reel more lightweight and sturdy.
The on/off instant anti-reverse bearing is an another mouth watering feature to look for in this spinning reel. You will find a smooth multi-drag system made of stainless steel and oiled felt washer.
The spool of the reel is machined ported and double anodized for better durability. Pflueger used a handle made of aircraft grade aluminum for extreme durability. Also, the aluminum bail wire design offers rigidity to prevent misshaping.
In a nutshell, this is one of the best spinning reels for the money. It’s strong, reliable, offers great features, and comes at a very low price.
- 9 stainless steel bearings
- One anti-reverse roller bearing
- Smooth multi-drag system
- Aircraft grade aluminum handle for durability
- Braid Ready Spool
- Lightweight graphite body and rotor
- Aesthetically beautiful
- Low price
5. Penn Fierce II Spinning Reel
Yet another powerful spinning reel from Penn. Penn used a full metal body and side plate on this spinning reel. The side plate will keep a precise gear alignment under heavy loads like big fishes. It will be a hard job to find such an excellent spinning reel at this low price.
Due to the field-proven oiled-felt drag system, the performance is very reliable and it can tame the fish. There are four shielded stainless steel ball bearings with one instant anti-reverse bearing. Penn’s techno-balanced rotor will offer a smooth retrieve to the user.
There are other features like the heavy-duty aluminum bail wire, stainless steel main shaft, line capacity rings and more. The spinning reel also looks stunning and comes at a very decent price tag.
- Techno balanced rotor offers smooth retrieves
- Full metal body for durability
- 4+1 stainless steel ball bearing with one instant anti-reverse ball bearings
- Heavy-duty aluminum ball wire used
- Reasonable pricing
- Oiled-felt drag system
- Braid ready spool
- Excellent performance in tough situations
- Line capacity rings
6. Daiwa Crossfire Front Drag Spinning Fishing Reel
Daiwa is a Japanese fishing equipment manufacturer. One of their most popular fishing gear is this fishing spinning reel. Daiwa Crossfire is a front drag spinning reel used for fishing. It comes with 3 ball bearing and one roller bearing.
It offers one touch folding handle on the 2000-4000 sizes and standard folding handle on the 500-1000 sizes. Daiwa used Gyro spin balanced rotor to offer a precise performance. You will be highy benefited with the micro-click front drag adjustment. Also, the spool is made of abs aluminum.
There are other features like the twist buster line twist reduction, Advanced locomotive levelwind, lifetime bail spring, infinite anti-reverse and more. On top of that, it’s surprisingly cheap.
- ABS Aluminum spool
- 4 Bearing system: 3 Ball Bearing with one reverse bearing
- Infinite anti-reverse possible
- Gyro Spin balanced rotor
- Low price
- Micro-click front drag system
- Lightweight sleek design
7. Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
Abu Garcia is a fishing equipment manufacturer based in Sweden. Their incredible products have taken the fishing market of different parts of the world by storm. Abu Garcia Revo SX is a spinning reel with 8 stainless steel HPCR bearing and one roller bearing with corrosion protection. Besides the good looks, this spinning reel has all the necessary features to be called as the best spinning reel.
Abu Garcia used a C6 carbon body with a 1-piece X-craftic aluminum gearbox in Revo SX spinning reel. The Revo SX reel will use a lightweight but durable graphite rotor with Everlast bail and Rockel line management system. The rocket line management system will offer a better management of all types of fishing lines. Also, the Everlast bail system will offer a better durability.
The AMGearing system will provide precision machined gears for a smoother performance. Abu Garcia used slow oscillation to even line lay for almost all types of lines. The price may seem a higher at the first sight, but once you realize the quality performance Abu Garcia Revo SX provides, you won’t regret buying this incredible spinning reel.
- Stylish design
- 8 stainless steel HPCR bearings with one roller bearing
- Carbon Matrix hybrid drag system allows silky smooth drag
- Rocket line management system
- K-clutch anti reverse
- Lightweight but durable graphite rotor
- Aluminium gears
- Slow oscillation system
- Value for the price
- Everlast bail
- Rocket spool lip design
- Molded C6 carbon body
8. Sougayilang Fishing Spinning Reels
There’s a very strong chance that you haven’t heard of the name of Sougayilang. Sougayilang makes different kind of fishing reels and other fishing related gears. If you are fishing in saltwater, you may have already spoiled some reels which aren’t meant to be used in saltwater. For you, this spinning reel would be a great choice.
This saltwater fishing reel comes with a 13+1BB design to offer a smooth performance. Sougayilang used an aluminum spool with a high tensile gear. It comes with S-curve system which offers a very good line winding. Most left handed person moans for not having a reel which supports them. Fear not, it’s right and left inter-changeable handle makes it an ideal spinning reel for most people.
Like other good spinning reels, the rotor is computer balanced. This spinning reel is great to be used in ocean boat fishing, ocean beach fishing, lake, river, reservoir pond and stream too. Though it might not be the best fishing spinning reel, it surely is loved by many anglers.
- 13+1 ball bearings
- Gear ratio 5:5:1
- Left/right inter-changeable handle
- S-curve oscillation system offers good line winding
- Ultra-thin slim body
- Computer balanced rotor
- Thick Coiled bail spring
- Low price
- Instant anti-reverse
9. Okuma Trip High-Speed Spinning Reel
Okuma used an innovative design to make the Okuma Trip High-Speed Spinning Reel. It uses lightweight graphite and aluminum to offer a strong yet easy handling system to provide a rugged performance on both freshwater and inshore saltwater fishing. The one-piece stamped aluminum reel stern and rotor is teamed up with the lightweight graphite side plates.
You will find a dual force drag system in this spinning reel. It’s secured with an aluminum drag chamber to have better stability and smoothness. It also comes with the EOS elliptical oscillation system for better performance. There are 9+1 HPB high-performance beatings available in this spinning fishing reel. You can understand there is one quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing in this package. The gear ratio is 6:0:1.
There are other features like the hydro block water tight drag seal, computer balanced rotor equalized system, high-density gearing and more. What’s more, the price is very reasonable.
- Dual Force Drag System
- 9+1 HPB high-performance bearings
- Quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Gear Ratio 6:0:1
- Reasonable price
- Elliptical Oscillation System
- Computer balanced rotor equalizing system
- High-density gearing
- Can be used in freshwater and inshore saltwater
- Aluminum and graphite material offers durability and strength
10. Shimano Sedona Spinning Reel
Shimano is a Japanese manufacturer specializing in fishing gears and tools. Shimano used a double-anodized machine cut spool to keep the body of Sedona compact and sturdy. Shimano used 3 ball bearings with one roller bearing in this compact spinning fishing reel. The S A-RB bearings also have shields on both sides prevent the salt and sand interfering the rotation.
The propulsion line management system has an updated propulsion spool lip design. It helps when you are aiming for longer casting distances. Also, it avoids wind knots and backlashes. Shimano used Dyna-balance technology which balances the rotor to phase out the vibration and increase sensitivity.
The aluminum spool you see in the picture is CF cold-forged for extra durability. The grooved power roller will keep the line wrapped around the spool to lessen the twisting and looping.
- Double anodized machine cut spool
- Dyna-balance technology balanced rotor
- Bearings have shield to protect from salt and sand
- 3 ball bearings + 1 roller bearing
- Gear ratio: 5:0:1
- Anti-reverse sure stopper II helps one-way roller bearing to remove back-play to offer immediate hook-setting power
- Grooved Power Roller Diminishes line twisting and looping
Getting the best spinning reel for fishing is a no brainer. Your fishing reel plays a significant role in your fishing style and performance. I have tried sharing the best fishing spinning reels in this post, and I will continue adding more reels in the future. Grab one, and let’s go fishing.