Last Updated on August 21, 2023 by Afsar
Are you on the hunt for the ultimate kayaking books? You’re certainly not the only one!
There’s nothing quite like immersing yourself in a captivating book, particularly when it delves into the exciting world of kayaking, canoeing, and paddling. As a passionate kayaker myself, I’ve always valued the wealth of knowledge and experience shared by expert paddlers through their insightful publications. These books not only serve to enhance our understanding of the sport but also inspire us to embark on our own paddling adventures.
Our carefully curated list of kayaking books features an array of titles, each designed to cater to specific interests and needs. Some focus on honing your paddling skills, while others transport you to spectacular kayaking destinations across the globe. After all, our planet is a breathtaking canvas of natural wonders, and there’s no better way to appreciate its splendor than from the seat of a kayak.
Recreational Kayaking The Ultimate Guide
Back in 2008, Ken Whiting published the ultimate guide on recreation kayaking. If you are new into the kayaking scenario and want a head start this a great book to start with. Ken is one of the most popular paddlers in the world, and learning about kayaking through his eyes will help you enjoy it more. This easy-to-read book about kayaking will help you make it fun and safe to paddle. It is available at a very cheap price, and both newbies and experienced paddlers will find a thing or two to learn from this book.
- The book is ideal for beginners seeking a solid foundation in the sport.
- Ken Whiting is a renowned paddler worldwide, and learning from his perspective enhances the kayaking experience.
- The easy-to-read book aims to make kayaking enjoyable and safe.
- The guide is affordably priced, and both novices and seasoned paddlers can glean valuable insights from its content.
The Art of Kayaking
Authored by Nigel Foster, The Art of Kayaking is a comprehensive guide that covers all aspects of paddling. Available in both paperback and digital formats, this engaging book offers a wealth of information on skills, techniques, kayak varieties, and more. Recognizing the significance of proper planning for an enjoyable paddling experience, the book includes maps, tables, and diagrams to guide readers through essential preparation steps. Additionally, the book features vivid color photo action sequences to assist beginners in acquiring new skills and applying them effectively. Designed to help readers progress from novice to pro, The Art of Kayaking is an invaluable resource for paddlers of all levels.
- The Art of Kayaking is authored by Nigel Foster.
- The book covers a comprehensive range of topics, including skills, techniques, and various types of kayaks.
- It is available in both paperback and digital formats.
- Emphasizing the importance of planning for a successful paddling experience, the book provides maps, tables, and diagrams.
- Color photo action sequences are included to help beginners learn and apply new skills.
- The book is designed to take readers from a beginner level to a more advanced, professional level.
Fifty Places to Paddle Before You Die
As the title suggests, this book sets the stage for an immersive exploration of paddling as a premier outdoor activity. In its pages, author Chris Santella transports readers to fifty remarkable destinations perfect for kayaking, canoeing, rafting, and stand-up paddleboarding. Among these awe-inspiring locations are the Grand Canyon, Baja California, Indonesia’s Komodo Islands, Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula, and the Antarctic Peninsula. This captivating book showcases not only vivid photographs of these incredible places but also provides valuable travel tips to ensure your journeys are both exhilarating and brimming with unforgettable memories.
- Fifty Places to Paddle Before You Die is part of the Fifty Places series by Chris Santella.
- The book highlights the best destinations for various paddling sports, including kayaking, rafting, canoeing, and stand-up paddleboarding.
- Some featured destinations are the Grand Canyon, Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula, Baja California, Indonesia’s Komodo Islands, and the Antarctic Peninsula.
- Paddling experts have recommended these top spots.
- Engaging travel narratives are accompanied by striking photographs of each location.
- Travel tips are provided to help readers plan their own paddling adventures.
The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking
An essential addition to every sea kayaking enthusiast’s library, The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking is a treasure trove of insights and expertise. Penned in 1976 by the late Derek C. Hutchinson, a legendary figure in the world of sea kayaking, this comprehensive guide delves into the intricacies of the sport. Readers will be captivated by the vivid descriptions of equipment, basic and advanced techniques, weather patterns, and navigation, all brought to life through the author’s own illustrations and stunning color photographs. Now available in a 40th-anniversary edition, this timeless classic has been meticulously updated with the latest sea kayaking developments by Wayne Horodowich, ensuring it remains an invaluable resource for paddlers of all skill levels.
Read: Best Sea Kayaks
- It serves as a comprehensive guide for beginners and a valuable reference for experienced sea kayakers.
- The late Derek C. Hutchinson, an international authority on sea kayaking, originally wrote the book.
- It covers equipment, basic and advanced techniques, weather, and navigation and features the author’s illustrations and color photographs.
- The 40th-anniversary edition has been fully updated to reflect the latest sea kayaking advancements by Wayne Horodowich, a close friend of Hutchinson’s and the founder of the University of Sea Kayaking.
Quiet Water New Hampshire and Vermont
Discover the ultimate kayaking adventure in the picturesque landscapes of New Hampshire and Vermont with this exceptional guidebook. Perfect for those living nearby or planning a vacation to these stunning locales, the book showcases an abundance of serene flat water ponds, lakes, and rivers just waiting to be explored. Gather your friends and family to relish the tranquil sounds of paddling through these captivating waterways, as the guide details 95 incredible paddling excursions across the Green Mountain and Granite states.
Experience the enchanting beauty of Pillsbury State Park’s ponds, and if you’re up for it, extend your adventure with an overnight camping trip. With rave reviews from fellow kayakers, this guide is poised to become a cherished resource, inspiring countless unforgettable paddling experiences.
- Perfect for locals or vacationers looking for serene flat water ponds, lakes, and rivers to explore
- 95 incredible paddling excursions across the Green Mountain and Granite states detailed in the guide
- Gather friends and family to enjoy the tranquil sounds of paddling through picturesque landscapes
- Experience the enchanting beauty of Pillsbury State Park’s ponds, and consider extending your adventure with an overnight camping trip
- Rave reviews from fellow kayakers make this guide a cherished resource for unforgettable paddling experiences.
The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Canoeing and Kayaking
This must-have buying guide is perfect for newbies who want to learn more about kayaking and canoes. Written by top paddlesports experts, it provides valuable insight into choosing the right equipment, understanding paddling techniques and strokes, planning a trip, and even what to wear. With nearly 100 photos and illustrations, this guide is filled with everything an aspiring kayak or canoe adventurer needs to know before taking the plunge.
The guidebook is 401 pages long and covers a wide range of topics. The experts have given their opinion on what new paddlers need to learn before getting started. The book provides valuable information on how to choose the right kayak or canoe, understanding paddling techniques and strokes, and how to plan a trip. The guide also includes tips on how to dress appropriately for the adventure. After finishing the book, readers will have gained an extensive knowledge of kayaking and canoes, making them well-prepared for their next adventure.
How to Paddle a Kayak: The 90 Minute Guide to Master Kayaking and Learn to Paddle Like a Pro
How to Paddle a Kayak: The 90 Minute Guide to Master Kayaking and Learn to Paddle Like a Pro is the perfect book for those who want to learn how to kayak quickly and easily. Written by kayaking expert Scott Parsons, the book promises to teach readers everything they need to know about kayaking in just 90 minutes. Whether you prefer the paperback or digital version, this affordable book is a must-have for anyone interested in water-based adventure.
With How to Paddle a Kayak, you’ll learn all the basics of kayaking, including how to stay safe, reduce hazards and risks, and stay balanced and centered in any kayak. Parsons’ natural talent for teaching effective kayaking techniques will have you feeling confident, safe, and ready to start paddling before you know it!
In addition to basic techniques, the book also covers advanced kayaking, whitewater kayaking, and extreme kayaking. With this comprehensive reference, readers will discover the best kayaks to buy for different types of water, how to read currents and tides, and common paddling mistakes to avoid. With clear and simple guidance, easy-to-learn techniques, and practical advice from a kayaking expert, How to Paddle a Kayak is the ultimate handbook for anyone keen on kayaking.
- How to Paddle a Kayak: The 90 Minute Guide to Master Kayaking and Learn to Paddle Like a Pro is a book by kayaking expert Scott Parsons
- The book teaches readers everything they need to know about kayaking in just 90 minutes
- It covers basic and advanced kayaking techniques, including how to reduce hazards and risks and stay balanced in any kayak
- The book also covers whitewater and extreme kayaking
- Readers will learn how to choose the best kayaks for different types of water and how to read currents and tides
- The book provides clear and simple guidance, easy-to-learn techniques, and practical advice from a kayaking expert
- How to Paddle a Kayak is a comprehensive reference for anyone interested in kayaking.
Kayak: The New Frontier: The Animated Manual of Intermediate and Advanced Whitewater Technique
Kayak by William Nealy is an illustrated kayaking-skills manual that teaches basic to advanced paddling techniques through humorous illustrations and detailed explanations. With over 400 illustrations, the book presents complex kayaking skills in a fun and engaging way. Nealy’s humor makes reading and learning easier than ever, making it perfect for beginners and experienced paddlers alike.
The book has recently been updated to reflect the latest in paddling technology, and readers will learn difficult whitewater kayaking techniques that are hard to find online. The illustrations feature everything from hardcore hippy hairboaters catching air in their block-long Dancers to insane youngsters clattering tiny plastic boats down steep creeks with more rocks than water.
Inside the book, readers will find detailed descriptions of kayak and rapids anatomy, paddling techniques, and river rescue methods. Whether you’re boofing an insane rapid or even an entire waterfall, William Nealy is back and more useful and entertaining than ever. You may break a rib laughing, but with this book as your guide, you’ll be less likely to break a bone.
- Kayak by William Nealy is an illustrated kayaking-skills manual that teaches basic to advanced paddling techniques
- The book uses over 400 humorous illustrations to make learning fun and engaging
- The book has recently been updated to reflect the latest in paddling technology
- Readers will learn difficult whitewater kayaking techniques that are hard to find online
- The illustrations feature everything from hardcore hippy hairboaters to insane youngsters paddling through steep and rocky creeks
- The book covers kayak and rapids anatomy, paddling techniques, and river rescue methods
- William Nealy’s humor makes reading and learning easier than ever
- The book is perfect for both beginners and experienced paddlers alike.
The Pacific Alone: The Untold Story of Kayaking’s Boldest Voyage
The Pacific Alone is a gripping narrative of Ed Gillet’s solo kayak journey from California to Hawaii in the summer of 1987. Gillet, an accomplished sailor and paddler, navigated the journey by sextant and always knew his position within a few miles. However, the constant abuse on his body from the relentless paddling and the pounding swells of the Pacific Ocean left him covered with saltwater sores and without a comfortable position for sitting or sleeping.
Despite the challenges, Gillet’s story of his 63 days at sea, with a broken rudder and four days without food, is a remarkable feat of endurance and determination. The Pacific Alone is not your average kayaking book, but a journey through Gillet’s eyes, filled with thrill, enjoyment, and uncertainty. Dave Shively brings Gillet’s story to life with exclusive access to Gillet’s logs and interviews with the legendary paddler himself. It’s no wonder that this story is considered one of the best kayaking books out there in the market.
- The Pacific Alone is a gripping narrative of Ed Gillet’s solo kayak journey from California to Hawaii in 1987
- Gillet navigated the journey by sextant and always knew his position within a few miles
- The journey was filled with challenges, including relentless paddling and pounding swells that left Gillet covered in saltwater sores and unable to find a comfortable position for sitting or sleeping
- Despite the challenges, Gillet’s 63-day journey is a remarkable feat of endurance and determination
- The book is based on exclusive access to Gillet’s logs and interviews with the legendary paddler himself, bringing his story to life
- The Pacific Alone is not your average kayaking book, but a journey through Gillet’s eyes filled with thrill, enjoyment, and uncertainty
- The story is considered one of the best kayaking books on the market.
Paddle Pilgrim: Kayaking the Fjords of Norway
Paddle Pilgrim is a captivating narrative of a month-long paddle adventure on the stunning Sogne and Hardanger Fjords in Norway, where the author’s ancestors emigrated from to America in the 1850s. Norway is renowned for its breathtaking views of fjords, mountains, and the midnight sun, making it a must-visit destination for outdoor enthusiasts. The book weaves together three elements: paddle, ponder, and pictures.
The paddle element provides daily detailed accounts of the author’s experiences on the water and in the mountains, making the reader feel like they are right there with him. The ponder element reflects on those experiences and their significance, allowing the reader to reflect on their own experiences and how they relate to the natural world.
The book’s stunning award-winning photographs bring the experiences to life, providing an immersive visual journey through the breathtaking fjords of Norway. So grab a cup of coffee and join David Ellingson on his quest to explore the magnificent fjords of Norway in Paddle Pilgrim.
- Paddle Pilgrim is a captivating narrative of a month-long paddle adventure on the stunning Sogne and Hardanger Fjords in Norway
- The author’s ancestors emigrated from Norway to America in the 1850s
- Norway is renowned for its breathtaking views of fjords, mountains, and the midnight sun, making it a must-visit destination for outdoor enthusiasts
- The book weaves together three elements: paddle, ponder, and pictures
- The paddle element provides daily detailed accounts of the author’s experiences on the water and in the mountains
- The ponder element reflects on those experiences and their significance
- The pictures are award-winning and bring the experiences to life
- The book provides an immersive visual journey through the breathtaking fjords of Norway
- Paddle Pilgrim is a must-read for anyone who loves kayaking and exploring the natural world.
Canoeing & Kayaking Florida
Canoeing & Kayaking Florida is the ultimate guidebook for anyone looking for ideas about canoeing and kayaking in Florida. With comprehensive coverage of Florida’s unique streams, springs, creeks, rivers, and coastal waterways, this book is a must-have for outdoor enthusiasts. Written by acclaimed author and outdoors adventurer Johnny Molloy, the guidebook provides engaging and concise information, while offering carefully selected details vital to a successful paddling adventure. The book has been recently updated with new paddling destinations like Shingle Creek, quiet coastal
Shell Creek, and the mighty Apalachicola River, making it a trusted source for paddlers for over 30 years.
In addition to detailed information on 78 top paddling trips, the book also provides new river profiles and updated maps and contact information. At-a-glance data, including river class, length, time, and more, make it easy to plan your paddling adventure. Whether you’re looking for excitement on the Panhandle’s Econfina Creek or a leisurely float through the Everglades National Park, Canoeing & Kayaking Florida has something for everyone. The book is available in kindle edition, hardcover, paperback, and mass-market pocketback, making it accessible to all. So wet your paddle and whet your taste for outdoor adventure with Canoeing & Kayaking Florida, the most informative Florida paddling guide out there.
- Canoeing & Kayaking Florida is the ultimate guidebook for paddling in Florida.
- Written by acclaimed author Johnny Molloy, the book provides concise information on 78 top paddling trips and updated river profiles, maps, and contact information.
- It’s perfect for outdoor enthusiasts looking for unique streams, springs, creeks, rivers, and coastal waterways to explore in Florida.
- Whether you’re looking for excitement or leisurely paddling, this book has something for everyone.
- It’s recently been updated with new destinations like Shingle Creek and the Apalachicola River, making it an even more comprehensive guide to Florida’s waterways.
No Barriers: A Blind Man’s Journey to Kayak the Grand Canyon
Erik Weihenmayer’s story is one of inspiration and resilience, as he became the first blind person to summit Mount Everest. His book, No Barriers, chronicles his journey since that historic climb, from leading expeditions with blind Tibetan teenagers to adopting a son from Nepal. The book also tells the incredible story of Erik’s solo kayak journey through the Grand Canyon, which he undertook despite his blindness.
No Barriers has won numerous awards, including honorable mention in the outdoor literature category of the 2017 National Outdoor Book Awards, and was a finalist for the 2018 Colorado Book Awards. The book is a moving account of Erik’s journey to overcome barriers and push himself to achieve his dreams, as well as an exploration of the human experience and the obstacles we all face. Along the way, Erik meets other pioneers who have broken through their own barriers, showing him surprising ways forward that defy traditional thinking.
- No Barriers is a book by Erik Weihenmayer, the first and only blind person to summit Mount Everest.
- The book chronicles Erik’s journey since Everest, including leading expeditions with blind Tibetan teenagers and adopting a son from Nepal.
- The book also tells the incredible story of Erik’s solo kayak journey through the Grand Canyon, undertaken despite his blindness.
- No Barriers has won numerous awards, including honorable mention in the outdoor literature category of the 2017 National Outdoor Book Awards and finalist for the 2018 Colorado Book Awards.
- The book is an exploration of the human experience and the obstacles we all face, as well as a celebration of resilience and overcoming barriers.
- Along the way, Erik meets other pioneers who have broken through their own barriers and shows him surprising ways forward that defy traditional thinking.
The Ultimate Guide to Kayak Fishing: A Practical Guide (Ultimate Guides)
Discover the growing world of kayak fishing with this comprehensive guide, perfect for both beginners and experienced anglers. In recent years, kayak fishing has surged in popularity, with Americans embarking on over 38 million trips annually. The affordability and versatility of kayaks make them an appealing alternative to traditional fishing boats, allowing more people to participate in the sport.
The Ultimate Guide to Kayak Fishing, authored by Joel Spring, provides a wealth of valuable information on this exciting pastime. This book covers everything from choosing the right type of kayak, transportation, and outfitting essentials, to essential safety tips and weather considerations. As a bonus, you’ll also find tips on making kayak fishing a fun activity for friends and family.
Spring’s expert advice covers a range of key topics, such as standing to fish from a kayak, casting under brush and trees, fishing in the wind, and various fishing techniques like bait, casting, fly, and night fishing. You’ll also learn how to land fish in a kayak and much more.
This book is an excellent resource for those looking to explore the unique advantages of kayak fishing, including easier maneuverability, access to hard-to-reach spots, and the general enjoyment of paddling. Grab a copy of The Ultimate Guide to Kayak Fishing to enhance your skills and join the millions of Americans who have already discovered this affordable and rewarding sport.
- Topics covered: choosing the right kayak, transportation, outfitting essentials, safety tips, weather considerations, and making it a fun activity
- Expert advice: standing to fish, casting techniques, fishing in various conditions, and landing fish
- Unique advantages: easier maneuverability, access to hard-to-reach spots, and enjoyment of paddling
- Enhance skills and join millions in this affordable, rewarding sport
Kayaking Log Book: Track Your Adventures
Introducing a unique kayaking logbook, perfect for those who prefer the traditional method of documenting their adventures rather than using a phone app. This personalized kayaking journal is designed to help you keep track of essential details such as paddle partners, gear and equipment, trip goals, routes, and more. A thoughtful gift for yourself or the kayaking enthusiast in your life.
The Guided Kayaking Journal features:
✓ Date, Starting Point, Destination, Distance, and Duration
✓ Weather Conditions and Water Visibility
✓ Team or Paddle Partner information
✓ Body of Water details
✓ Gear and Equipment inventory
✓ Trip Goals and Route planning, including Milestones, Stops, Time of Arrival, Highlights, and Notes
✓ Space for Additional Notes
Measuring 6 x 9 inches with 110 pages, this logbook offers plenty of space to document your kayaking experiences, making it a valuable keepsake or a practical tool for refining your skills on the water.
In conclusion, kayaking books offer a wealth of knowledge, inspiration, and entertainment for paddling enthusiasts of all skill levels. From instructional guides and thrilling adventure stories to reflective memoirs and practical logbooks, these books provide valuable insights into the world of kayaking and help to cultivate a deeper appreciation for the sport.
We hope that our curated selection of kayaking books has piqued your interest and will accompany you on your journey to becoming a more skilled and passionate paddler. As you embark on new adventures, always remember to prioritize safety, respect the environment, and cherish the camaraderie that comes with sharing these experiences with fellow kayaking enthusiasts.
So, cozy up with one of these captivating reads and let the words on the page whisk you away to uncharted waters, rapids, and serene escapes. May the stories and knowledge shared within these books inspire you to paddle on and explore the endless possibilities that await you on your next kayaking adventure. Happy reading and happy paddling!
Afsar is an avid kayak blogger born near the coast. He has a passion for kayaking and started as a child. He has paddled in various conditions and locations and promotes responsible kayaking. Afsar’s blog is widely read, and they are a respected voice in the kayaking community, offering valuable content on kayaking trips, gear, tips, and tricks. Afsar collaborates with other bloggers and brands and continues to inspire others through their writing and social media.